Tuesday 20 March 2007

Allergies in Breastfed Babies

I was wondering if my sudden intake of eggs (at least one a day or more) for a week could cause my baby to have an allergic reaction with his whole body getting covered in hives. My baby is now 7 months old but I had not really eaten eggs up until now. Nothing else in the baby's routine or diet changed. Is it possible for food that I eat to filter through my body to the extent of giving the baby an allergic reaction? Are there other foods to avoid?

If a baby is sensitive to a certain food then, yes, they can have allergic reactions to food that the mom has eaten. You can try cutting eggs out of your diet & see if your baby's condition improves. There aren't absolute specific foods that everyone should avoid. If you know of any foods that other members of your family are sensitive to, then you could try also avoiding those foods. If you notice that your baby seems to be developing any symptoms of allergy after you have introduced any new foods to your diet, just discontinue that food for a while & see how things go.

3 comments:

Snoopyjazz said...

Hi Christine,

I have a question to ask...i noticed over the last week or so that my baby seems to be still crying after getting his feed from the breast once I return from work. This happened after we starting giving him 5 ounces (every 3 hours interval) because he was still crying after drinking 4 ounces (with 5 ounces he looks contended!) I wonder could it be that my milk supply is lower in the evenings..that he is not getting enough from the breast (even tho I feed him from 2 breasts!). Could it be due to me pumping a lot during the day (I can pump up to 24 ounce from middle of the night, early morning and at work) and hence, my milk is low during evenings? Am not sure...What can I do to have a higher supply during the evenings?

Mamalink said...

Hi Jessica,
Sorry away at a conference last few days.
Sometimes milk is lower in the evenings especially if you are tired or stressed.If that is the case, you can try sitting down & relaxing for a few minutes before feeding your baby.
How much do you express at each session.If it is 5ozs then your baby should be easily able to obtain more if you are relaxed. If you are obtaining less than 5oz at each session & adding extra to the bottles for feeds, could be that your breasts store less than your baby is taking from the bottle. If that is the situation, then let baby feed both breasts & then repeat & let him suckle again !
Try doing all the evening & night feeds at the breast & at week-ends fully breast feed - best way to bump up your supply.

Amanda said...

Has anybody noticed if bananas can cause a baby not to sleep as well at night? My son has wakes up about 2 times each night but lately I've noticed that on the days he has bananas, he wakes more. Is there such a thing as bananas being irritating to a baby?